Monday, August 23, 2010

Gulf Shores 2010

We were very blessed this summer that the Bates Family let the Zimmerman Crew spend a week down in their house at Gulf Shores. Karl stayed behind because he only has two weeks of vacation--so the girls and I headed down with my mom and dad, Brad, Sarah, and Aunt Jill. It was a great week with beautiful (HOT) weather. The beach and town were DEAD due to the oil spill. The beaches and water looked great to us--so great that one day around noon we decided to go for a swim in the ocean.... Note: Many of you have already heard this story in detail but I need to write it down so that my grandkids can read about it one day... :)

Anyhow--My dad, Brad, Layna and I were all swimming out in the ocean (about up to our chest) when my aunt Jill who was standing on shore starts telling us that there are HUGE stingray right up close to the beach! We start to make our way over that direction when I hear Brad behind me yell 'SHARK'....(pause)....'SHAAARRKKK'. It was like time stood still--I held on tight to my little girl and ran towards the shore as quickly as I could. As I was running in- I see Jill waving and pointing and yelling 'Ohhh...there it is!! It's RIGHT there!' AHHHH!!! I'm blessed to say that we were all unharmed and the only two who saw the shark were Brad and Jill. Brad's account is as follows: 'At first I saw the tip of a fin..so I kept looking and then I saw this huge fin come up on top of the water. Next I saw the whole body of the shark surface and it was atleast 6-8 ft long and swimming back and forth. It was closer to the beach than we were and about 10 ft away from us. Jen- you had to pass by it on your way in!' I have goosebumps as I type this again. Later that day I asked Brad if he thought it was one of those nurse sharks...that are smaller and harmless. He quickly answered 'NO..that thing was a BIG, HUGE Shark!' We did some research and think it was probably a Bull Shark--which are common in the gulf. I am VERY thankful that no one was hurt. Especially being that I was carrying my baby girl. I am glad to have this story down in writing but to be honest--I try not to think about it much as it still freaks me out. Ohh...and did I mention that this all happened during SHARK WEEK! CREEPY!

Something else I try and forget but will document so that one day it will be funny (maybe)...is that silly Jenna forgot to lock the car on our 1st night there and someone stole our Garmin and my 32G IPOD. BOOOOO HISSSSS!! Ohh well---atleast I still have all of my limbs!




Posted by Picasa

No comments: